Petroleum Safety Manager & Administrator (PSMA) - Refinery Series
- access_time 40:00 hours / 4.00 CEUs
The Certificate Petroleum Safety Manager & Administrator – Refineries, Plants, and Storage Facilities (PSMA) indicates a management level of operational skills and proficiency covering rules, regulations, and tools that are critical to safety throughout this vast, diversified, and complex industry. A wide range of expertise and managerial skills required to constantly update procedures, verify compliance, and continually improve operational performance is presented. This course provides the student with the knowledge and expertise to remain current with regulations, protocols, and new industry standards for safely building, operating, and maintaining petroleum and petroleum derivative plants and facilities. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety, but we find that the average completion time is approximately 40 hours. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Identify petroleum refining operations
- Understand the Process Safety Management (PSM) standard
- Know the provisions for Risk Management Programs for chemical accident prevention
- Differentiate between the Program levels
- Understand accident reporting as it relates to the Five-year accident history reporting requirements
- Identify the elements and worst-case scenarios found in an offsite consequence analysis
- Understand the elements of a Program 2 and Program 3 Prevention Program
- Know the elements of an emergency response program
- Define the elements of a Risk Management Plan
- Apply the elements of a Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) plan to their facility
- Differentiate the types of confined spaces found within a refinery
- Identify the hazards associated with tank cleaning operations
- Implement the elements of a Safety and Health Management System
The Petroleum Safety Manager & Administrator (PSMA) - Refinery Series Course is a foundational course that requires no prerequisites.
Continuing Education Units:
Four (4.00) CEUs are offered for this course. As an IACET Accredited Provider, NASP offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. CEUs will be reflected on the Certificate upon successful completion of the course and passing the exam. Partial credit or adjusted CEUs will not be awarded for individuals who do not successfully meet the criteria for achievement of CEUs.
The student will take a comprehensive online exam for this course. You must score 80% to receive a certificate. You have two opportunities to pass each exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $375.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination. View the full document here.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.