check_boxCourse already added to your cart.
Silica Dust Specialist (SDS)
- access_time 08:00 hours / 0.80 CEUs
This is an intensive independent study course that gives you a comprehensive understanding of exposure to respirable crystalline silica (silica dust). This course discusses all of the requirements for ensuring a safe work environment where silica dust is present. Exposure assessment, control methods, and protection regarding silica dust is addressed in this course. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety, but we find that the average completion time is approximately 8 hours. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Define silica dust and its role in creating a need for regulatory standards.
- Describe the health effects from respirable crystalline silica.
- Describe the exposure assessment requirements for silica dust.
- Identify control methods for work situations where there is exposure to respirable crystalline silica.
- Describe the conditions in which respiratory protection is required for silica dust exposure.
- Explain the different medical requirements employers must fulfill for workers exposed to silica dust.
- Describe the ways communication and training help bring awareness to hazards and safe work practices in environments where silica dust is present.
- Identify the requirements for recordkeeping that relates to silica dust exposure and medical surveillance.
The Silica Dust Specialist (SDS) Course is a foundational course that requires no prerequisites.
Continuing Education Units:
(0.80) CEUs are offered for this course. As an IACET Accredited Provider, NASP offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. CEUs will be reflected on the Certificate upon successful completion of the course and passing the exam. Partial credit or adjusted CEUs will not be awarded for individuals who do not successfully meet the criteria for achievement of CEUs.
The student will take a comprehensive online exam at the end of the course. You must score 80% to receive certification. You have two opportunities to pass each exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $95.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination. View the full document here.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.