check_boxCourse already added to your cart.
Silica Dust Specialist (SDS)
- access_time 08:00 hours / 0.8 CEUs
This is an intensive independent study course that gives you a comprehensive understanding of exposure to respirable crystalline silica (silica dust). This course discusses all of the requirements for ensuring a safe work environment where silica dust is present. Exposure assessment, control methods, and protection regarding silica dust is addressed in this course. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety, but we find that the average completion time is approximately 8 hours. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will attain the designation of Silica Dust Safety Specialist (SDS). With this certification, the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Define silica dust and its role in creating a need for regulatory standards.
- Describe the health effects from respirable crystalline silica.
- Describe the exposure assessment requirements for silica dust.
- Identify control methods for work situations where there is exposure to respirable crystalline silica.
- Describe the conditions in which respiratory protection is required for silica dust exposure.
- Explain the different medical requirements employers must fulfill for workers exposed to silica dust.
- Describe the ways communication and training help bring awareness to hazards and safe work practices in environments where silica dust is present.
- Identify the requirements for recordkeeping that relates to silica dust exposure and medical surveillance.