check_boxCourse already added to your cart.
Bloodborne Pathogens and First Aid Treatment Specialist (BPS)
- access_time 08:00 hours / 0.80 CEUs
This is an independent study course that gives the student a comprehensive understanding of bloodborne pathogens, the routes of exposure, how to implement an exposure control plan, and how to keep employees from being exposed to bloodborne pathogens. This course also discusses first aid requirements per OSHA and ANSI standards as exposure to bloodborne pathogens can occur during first aid treatment. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have the knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Define bloodborne pathogens and those illnesses that pose the most serious health threats in the workplace.
- Describe the methods by which bloodborne pathogens can be transmitted.
- Define the approach of universal precautions and identify the various engineering, administrative and personal protective equipment control measures that are available.
- Identify the key elements of an Exposure Control Plan, to include a Hepatitis B Vaccination Program.
- Describe the medical evaluation program and follow-up procedures once an exposure incident has occurred.
- Identify the actions to be taken once an exposure incident has occurred, including first aid and other medical services.
- Define first aid and the requirements associated with the provision of services to workplace employees.
- Describe the major components of a first aid training program provided to employees.
The Bloodborne Pathogens and First Aid Treatment Specialist (BPS) Course is a foundational course that requires no prerequisites.
Continuing Education Units:
(0.80) CEUs are offered for this course. As an IACET Accredited Provider, NASP offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. CEUs will be reflected on the Certificate upon successful completion of the course and passing the exam. Partial credit or adjusted CEUs will not be awarded for individuals who do not successfully meet the criteria for achievement of CEUs.
The student will take a comprehensive online exam at the end of the course. You must score 80% to receive certification. You have two opportunities to pass each exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $95.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination. View the full document here.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.