check_boxCourse already added to your cart.
HAZWOPER Specialist (HZS)
- access_time 13:00 hours / 1.30 CEUs
This course combines the elements of the General Site Worker Supervisor and Incident Commander Courses for those who oversee hazardous waste sites during an emergency response scenario. Emphasis is on Site Safety and Health Plan and Contingency Plan requirements. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will attain the designation of HAZWOPER Specialist (HZS). With this certificate, the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Understand the background of HAZWOPER and affiliated regulations.
- Understand the concept of “cradle to grave.”
- Create a Health and Safety Plan in accordance with the HAZWOPER Standard.
- Conduct a site analysis and prepare a site control program.
- Apply other OSHA standard related to HAZWOPER.
- Implement a medical surveillance program for employees involved in HAZWOPER.
- Choose appropriate personal protective equipment based on the type of chemical exposure.
- Understand how to handle drums and containers safely.
- Apply decontamination procedures to an emergency response of hazardous materials.
The HAZWOPER Specialist (HZS) Course is a foundational course that requires no prerequisites.
Continuing Education Units:
(1.30) CEUs are offered for this course. As an IACET Accredited Provider, NASP offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. CEUs will be reflected on the Certificate upon successful completion of the course and passing the exam. Partial credit or adjusted CEUs will not be awarded for individuals who do not successfully meet the criteria for achievement of CEUs.
The student will take a comprehensive online exam at the end of the course. You must score 80% to receive a certificate. You have two opportunities to pass the exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $150.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination. View the full document here.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.
Our HAZWOPER Specialist Certificate covers:
- Chemistry and toxicology review
- Identifying the hazards of HAZMATS
- HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATIONS AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE
- Emergency incident command procedures
- Practical exercises for the student