check_boxCourse already added to your cart.
Machine Guarding Specialist (MGS)
- access_time 13:00 hours / 1.30 CEUs
There seem to be as many hazards created by moving machine parts as there are types of machines. Safeguards are essential for protecting workers from needless and preventable injuries. Any machine part, function, or process which may cause injury must be safeguarded. Where the operation of a machine or accidental contact with it can injure the operator or others in the vicinity, the hazard must be controlled or eliminated.
Machine guarding requirements can seem overwhelming with an entire subpart of OSHA CFR 1910 devoted to this topic. This course will equip you to protect your employees from moving machinery and to properly apply the OSHA Machine Guarding requirements. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will attain the designation of Machine Guarding Specialist (MGS). With this certificate, the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Identify and apply machine guarding safety measures as required by OSHA regulations to ensure the minimum requirements for compliance are met and exceeded.
- Identify the basic requirements of machine guarding by following the list of standards established to ensure the safety of machine operators and other employees.
- Evaluate the various hazardous movements that may result in employee injury to better understand how proper safety guarding offers protection
- Understand and distinguish the various types of motions and actions to prevent injury
- Comprehend the general safety considerations in regard to safeguard requirements, implement the appropriate training, and understand correct guard construction.
- Differentiate between the various types of guards and devices, their advantages and limitations of their use, and their purpose.
- Identify the main types of machinery, the proper guards for their use, potential hazards that
The student will take a comprehensive online exam at the end of the course. You must score 80% to receive a certificate. You have two opportunities to pass the exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $150.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.