Behavior Based Safety Specialist (BBS)
- access_time 13:00 hours / 1.30 CEUs
This is an intensive independent study course that gives you a comprehensive understanding of workplace safety and teaches you how to manage safety in your workplace. This course discusses all of the primary facets of workplace safety and how they interrelate. Included is the latest advancement in workplace safety - Behavior-Based Safety. Behavior-Based Safety is based on the proven principles of Organizational Behavior Management. The required amount of time to complete the course is dependent upon your knowledge of workplace safety. You have up to six months to complete the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will attain the designation of Behavior Based Safety Specialist (BBS). With this certificate, the student will have acquired the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Obtain information to present to upper management to get their buy-in to the support a behavior-based safety program.
- Create a list of critical behaviors (at-risk and safe) to guide the implementation of a successful BBS program.
- Create an observation checklist based on the identified critical behaviors.
- Learn how to positive and negative reinforcement affects behavior.
- Implement a successful BBS program.
- Measure the performance of the BBS program.
- Understand the hierarchy of needs and how people are motivated.
- Apply the principles of the human dynamics of behavior.
The Behavior Based Safety Specialist (BBS) Course is a foundational course that requires no prerequisites.
Continuing Education Units:
(1.30) CEUs are offered for this course. As an IACET Accredited Provider, NASP offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. CEUs will be reflected on the Certificate upon successful completion of the course and passing the exam. Partial credit or adjusted CEUs will not be awarded for individuals who do not successfully meet the criteria for achievement of CEUs.
The student will take a comprehensive online exam at the end of the course. You must score 80% to receive certification. You have two opportunities to pass each exam.
A refresher course and exam will be required every three (3) years. The cost of this recertification is $150.
NASP is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free of all forms of discrimination. View the full document here.
Proprietary Interest Disclosure:
The instructor(s) has no financial interest in any course documents, products, tools, or instruments. View the full document here.
Our Behavior Based Safety Specialist Course covers:
- Means of understanding and managing workplace safety
- Proper development of the Behavior Based Safety model of workplace safety
- Ways to overcome Resistance to Change
- Increasing positive behaviors and continuous improvement